Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Rally Roundtable Extra

Greetings,

It is Sherlon Christie.

So, I missed the Rally Roundtable discussion this week due to Shore Conference Tournament field hockey games. So, you'll have to settle for my featured picks via the printed word. I'm also the guy that puts the football scores on our website www.app.com on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons. I'll try to add some details to the High School Football blog on Friday nights and Saturday afternoon to give you something to discuss while the games are going on that night or that day. So without any further ado, here is what I would have said on the Rally Roundtable


Long Branch vs Red Bank Catholic
A couple weeks back we got an e-mail from a grandmother of a Long Branch player. I will not reveal which player it was but grandma poured her heart out to us about how we pick against the Green Wave each week when these young men are playing their hearts out on the road each week. Grandma...if you are reading...I got the message. I know the Green Wave lost a tough one to Wall last week...so I'm picking them to bounce back with big performances from Travis Patterson and Isaiah Hall. The knock on the Caseys is that they haven't played a quality opponent yet...in fact, the combined record of their opponents thus far is 7-19. Yikes. The Caseys have the top-rated offense in the Shore at 434 yards per game but Long Branch is fourth at 358 yards per game. So, that’s a wash in my mind.


Brick vs Howell
I know what the naysayers are going to say...how can you pick Howell...when the Rebels just got torched by Don Murphy of Jackson Memorial for 241 yards and three touchdowns. Simple. Since 2005, the Rebels are 4-2 after a loss. I believe Cory Davies is the most creative football coach in the Shore Conference and he will plug the holes in the run defense to keep Brick's Jordan Roshala, Matt Cuccinello and Joe Cusanelli in check. Howell is the 9th ranked offense in the Shore Conference at 304.7 yards per game against Brick's 29th ranked offense at 220.6 yards per game...too big of disparity...to go against the numbers.

Freehold vs Middletown South
Let me first say...I'm impressed with the 4-1 Colonials and what they have done thus far...and Coach Mark Ciccotelli should get some coach of the year votes and probably be the leader of the pack IF the Colonials were to beat Middletown South. But there is no way I can pick against Middletown South for two weeks in a row. In fact, Middletown South coach Steve Antonucci hasn't had more than one loss in a season since 2002 and in that 2002 season Middletown South didn't lose back to back games and finished 9-3.

Manalapan vs Colts Neck
I understand the Braves have some momentum with two straight wins over Toms River South and Middletown North but the Cougars have beaten those teams too. Colts Neck also lost to Lacey last week and I've got a payback week theme going so I'm picking Colts Neck and running with Colts Neck running back Ashton Jackson until the wheels fall off. I don't think this will be a blowout. I see Colts Neck getting up early and then feeding the ball to Jackson for key first downs late in the game.

Let me know if you agree with me or if you think I'm nuts. Also, please vote in this week's poll in the entry below this one. We like to know what America thinks of this week's featured games.

schristie@app.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home