Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Ranaudo, Slate, Menna on the draft/other news

Wednesday night at the all-star game I spoke with our Shore Conference high school draftees on their possibilities of signing and here is what they said - as of Wednesday evening. I apoligize for not transcribing this sooner but I was busy with all sorts of end of season stuff.

Remember...major league teams have until Aug. 15 to sign their players, otherwise they go back into the draft. All three of our players have signed with four-year `schools, so if they go the college route (as Todd Frazier did), they would not be draft eligible again until after their junior years.

All three will play this summer for various traveling teams.




Anthony Ranaudo (St. Rose) 11th round pick no. 350 by Texas, signed with LSU.

""They didn't make me an official offer yet. They came to my house to visit. We just talked about what we're going to start with. He (Teaxas scout Rick Majsko ) just came over to get aquainted with us. He's going to come to all my games, just watch
me throughout the summer. Hopefully we can go above slot money. If everything works out I'll go play pro.''



Kyle Slate (CBA) round 37 pick no. 1126 by Philadelphia, signed with the University of Maine

""I talked to the scout a couple of times and we're probably going to get together like the next two weeks. They're probably not going to make an offer until like July, August. They're going to watch me pitch over the summer and see how I progress. If I do what they want me to do, it means more money, a higher price. Hopefully, if it's the way I want it, then it'll make something work.

""It would be a long shot for me to actually sign. Most likely I'm going to college. I already told my college coach there's a good chance I'll be there in September. They're banking on me coming there. They said I'll be starting starting right away. I'm looking forward to it''



J.C. Menna (RBC) 39th round pick no 1167 by Pittsburgh signed with James Madison.

"'It all comes down to this summer. The Pirates are going to send a scout every time I pitch. Around Aug. 15th, which is the deadline, they're going to see how much money they can give me, my contract has to be looked over.

""It's really a 50-50 chance ( he might sign). I'd really like to play pro ball right out of high school. It's a great honor. There's really nothing better than being drafted right out of high school. I was drafted as a pitcher, but I'm going to James Madison as a shortstop.''



Other news: Paul Rosario and Adam Murray of Monsignor Donovan will continue their baseball careers at Brookdale Community College and Chestnut Hill College (Philadelphia) respectively.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home